While I was perusing through blogs last night, I checked in with Your Heart Out, a local blog that highlights restaurants, shops, and fun things-to-do in the community. In their Oct. 21 post, the writers suggested readers should go try a pumpkin flavored concrete at Nielsen's Frozen Custard. Now, I've tried many pumpkin treats this fall, but there is one that I have shied away from- Artic Circle's Pumpkin Pie Shake. This is a good shake, but it's very strong and the flavor gets old- even when you are enjoying the smallest size. But I had high hopes for Nielsen's, since their Cherry Chocolate Chip Concrete is out of this world, and one of my favorite treats (my husband's, too!).
We called the Nielsen's in Salt Lake, but they said that they no longer carry the pumpkin flavor. LAME- pumpkin is a FALL flavor, people. The last time I checked, even if it's snowing outside (whimper), it's still fall, and pumpkin is still in season. So we called the Nielsen's in Bountiful, and they said they were still carrying pumpkin (Hurray! Go Bountiful Nielsen's!), so we bundled up and drove up to Bountiful, and ordered a pumpkin flavored concrete with chocolate chips. And these aren't just regular, boring chocolate chips- these are chocolate CHUNKS, with wonderful flavor and texture. And the pumpkin flavor wasn't too strong- it didn't overwhelm you and leave you feeling sick after finishing half of it; it was a consistent, mellow yet medium-strength flavor of pumpkin, which was PERFECT. I would have to say far surperior than the Artic Circle Pumpkin Pie Shake.
If you are a pumpkin-lover, be sure to try this once-a-year treat! And I would hurry if I were you- I'm not sure how much longer Nielsen's will hold out on this pumpkin flavor. I'm sure eggnog and peppermint concretes are just around the corner. Nielsen's Frozen Custard is located at 570 West 2600 South in Bountiful, Utah. Their number is 801-292-7479. Happy pumpkin-eating!
Wednesday, November 5, 2008
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Concrete at Nielsen's Frozen Custard
Posted by Oblad girl at 10:16 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Thanks for the great idea. I will have to zoom over there tonight! Mike LOVES pumpkin shakes, it must be a Neeley thing! I don't thing we have ever had one there though.
we should make it a family night...I have your scentcy stuff here.
I love Neilsen's Custard. There is one is Holladay on Highland Drive and 3900 South. Not sure if they have that flavor or not.
Oh I love love love Nielsen's! The way the icecream comes out of the machines is so awesome!
Post a Comment