Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Tomato-Broccolini Soup

One of the top ten things that makes me happy is finding a vegetable recipe that is AMAZING. Because, let's face it, vegetables aren't all that appetizing all of the time. But this recipe- wow. It made my apartment smell wonderful, and it made my taste buds dance with happiness. I really like broccolini for one thing- it's kind of a smaller, sweeter, and more expensive version of broccoli- but it has a fantastic taste and crunch when you boil it for just 3 minutes in salted water (I hate soggy broccoli- nothing worse than that, right?). On top of that, I don't think I will ever go back to Campbell's canned tomato soup after trying this- it's like trying to watch VHS movies after watching DVDs... it's an utterly disappointing attempt of good quality stuff.

Plus, total bonus- I got to use my immersion blender for the first time! I got one at my bridal shower a long while ago, and I never used it. But this recipe calls for one, so I brought it out, dusted it off, stuck the thing in the soup-y mix, and blended. It worked like a charm. Immersion blenders are a fun kitchen toy! (Good gift idea for those cooking enthusiasts you know and love).

Bottom line- this recipe is quick, fast, and delicious. Please make it soon. And let me know what you think.

Tomato-Broccolini Soup
By: Rachael Ray, 30 Minute Meals

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
1 small carrot, chopped
2 small ribs celery, finely chopped
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon dried oregano or marjoram
Salt and pepper
One 28-ounce can diced or whole fire-roasted tomatoes
One 14.5-ounce can stewed tomatoes
2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
2 bunches Broccolini, cut into 2 1/2-inch florets
8 to 10 basil leaves, torn
Grated pecorino-romano cheese, for topping
Crusty bread, for serving

Directions:
In a medium soup pot, heat the EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium heat. Stir in the carrot, celery, onion, garlic and oregano; season with salt and pepper. Cover the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Add the diced and stewed tomatoes and the chicken stock and bring to a simmer; cook until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the Broccolini and cook until crisp-tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain.

Using an immersion blender, puree the soup. Stir in the Broccolini and basil; season with salt and pepper. Serve with lots of cheese and bread.

0 comments: